It is probably the most well known corfiot landmark, its image comes to mind when talking about Corfu. The Vlacherena monastery was founded many centuries ago on a little rocky island close to the southern tip of the Kanoni peninsula. It was a women's monastery and according the marble plaque above the white traditional campanile, the present chapel had been built in 1685. The oldest still existing funeral gravestone dates from 1758. In 1799, when Corfu was under the rule of democratic France, it was mentioned that the church belonged to the family of the famous greek composer N.C. Mantzaros. During the 19th century, the monastery had started to decline.
It is open to the public all year round. Somobody can enjoy its beauty and tranquillity and pray.