According to Wikipedia:
"The decision to create a new Municipal Theater, was taken in 1885, Mayor George Theotokis. Construction began in 1893, Mayor Michael Theotokis. Given the high cost of the project was completed in 1902 to plans by the Italian architect Conrado Pergolesi, who used the building as a model of "La Scala". The theater had a height of 39 meters and was the entrance portico, which adorned the facade of columns 6 Tuscan style. Externally, the upper floor 4 columns adorned with Corinthian capitals and pediment. In the middle of the pediment was relief escutcheon of Corfu, surrounded by laurel wreath, and films. The entrance to the theater was decorated with huge purple columns and around the high walls were decorated with portraits of great musicians, who had painted fine Italian painters.
The Public Theater had 64 galleries in three rows and a loft. Each gallery was luxurious, private living room had a bathroom, small room with mirrors and precious curtain and exclusively own illumination gas. The theater was luxurious square, richly decorated with deep purple plush armchairs, which at the end of the square was smaller.
The Municipal Theater of Corfu, considered one of the best in Europe. The acoustics were incomparable by any technical terms and was able to correctly render the slightest nuance of sound. The estimated capacity of about a thousand seats, and had a large foyer, the ceilings decorated with beautiful wall-paintings of Italian painters depicting Greek ancient gods and various musical representations. Famous have remained the dances given in the foyer.
The opening performances of the Municipal Theater of Corfu were held on December 7, 1902 in "Lohengrin" of Wagner. In one of its performances attended by Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany at the time of visiting the "Achillion '.
The Public Theater gold cost one million pounds, an enormous amount of time, forcing the municipality to enter into Corfu sinking loan, the final repayment of which would be in 1941. Unfortunately, the Municipal Theater was lost in the night of 13 to 14 September 1943, arson of the dreadful night of Corfu town from the Germans.
The only thing that survived was the curtain, which by chance was not at the Public Theater that night.
Unfortunately the post-war period the building was damaged by the Corfiot architect John Kollas and civil engineers George Linardos and Renos Paipetis, that there is no architectural and historical value. The opinion was announced to the City Council of Corfu, with Mayor then Stamatis Desyllas, which is meeting on March 31, 1952, unanimously decided to demolish the Municipal Theater. The theater was demolished, despite the strong protests of many of Corfu, who arrived at the courtroom. Several years later built in place of another, but the old theater is never faded from the heart of Corfiots. This is evidenced by the dozens of photos, which are hung everywhere from private offices to public buildings, longing for his lost glory."
Corfiots will never forget that fine piece of architecture which embellished their island...